[at-l] Chlorine dioxide tablets: Potable Aqua vs Katadyn Micropur

Carla & Dave Hicks carla_dave_hicks at verizon.net
Wed Jul 21 10:50:06 CDT 2010

Does anyone have a print out of the current product's recommended
wait/treatment times for chlorine dioxide-- at different temps & water
conditions.

The one I have (from some time ago) shows:

15 minutes for viruses and bacteria in 60F and visually clear water
30 minutes for crypto and / or giardia in 60F and visually clear water
4 hours for crypto in 39F and dirty water and acidic (or low pH)
<<<

I think I had one that also showed the wait/treatment time of around 30 (or
45) minutes for cooler (typical spring water temps).

I know the instructor, in one of the wilderness 1st Aid course I took,
recommended against chlorine dioxide for winter hiking -- because of the
extended wait/treatment times in cooler weather and the fact that many hikers
never read past the "60F and visually clear water" part of the instructions.

So, I'm wondering if the wait/treatment times have been revised.

Chainsaw