[at-l] AT activities, Whites

bluetrail at aol.com bluetrail at aol.com
Fri Jul 23 13:13:16 CDT 2010

Sloey, thanks for the acknowledgement.  No hiking to report, but I am happy to report that after three *&&^%^%%$$## months in a velcro-on boot, I am finally standing on two legs again.

(Note to self, when the podiatrist/surgeon tells you to stay off the foot, even if it doesn't hurt, stay off of it.  Managed to break the hinge of bone that was left which turned a 6-7 week recovery into a 3-month recovery).

Walking is like a whole new thing.  I have to REMEMBER to roll of the ball of that foot and not walk on the outside of it.  My speed is about 1 mi./day right now.  Wish me luck, because I'm heading to Bangor and then Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island the Bay of "Fun-days."   And I'm supposed to be hiking there in two weeks.

The good new is that last Friday at my first physical therapy session, I could not pick up one marble with my toes.  Today I picked up about 3 dozen.  Progress!

Incidentally, my sweetie who did all the dishes, laundry, cooking, housekeeping, shopping, etc. while I was sitting around with my foot propped up in the air (at home and at work), is out in the 100-mile wilderness, doing a yo-yo.  He had a great short hike in Baxter earlier this week and then decided he'd hit the 100-mile.  I shipped a big box of homemade chocolate chip bars to Shaw's this morning.

Joan