[at-l] Hammocks?

Ken Bennett bennett.ken at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 09:19:35 CDT 2010

I saw my first Hennessy Hammock on the trail in 2002, and just had to get
one. We used hammocks on our 2003 section hike (3 Hennessy models), but now
we're down to one Explorer UL (I think that's what it's called -- the
mid-length one for tall people.)

The Hennessy still gets used in the summer for solo hikes, and my daughter
swipes it for family hikes. It's the most comfortable sleep I've every had
in the backcountry. That's worth a lot, IMO. It's also easy to set up, and
much better in bad weather, since I never have to worry about rain pouring
under my tent or tarp. Plus it's really easy to find a good hammock hanging
site once you've done it a few times.

There are others -- the Hammock Hanger Tribe looks down somewhat
disdainfully at Hennessy Hammocks, I think, but they are a good choice and
have worked well for me.

You'll need insulation underneath your body, even in summer. I carry a 3/4
length closed cell foam pad, which makes a great sit/nap pad during the day,
and keeps my backside warm at night. Cheap, too.

Happy hanging,

Ken

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Tom Fort <tom at tjfort.net> wrote:

> What are the list recommendations for hammocks?  Not a tarp, plz.  :-)
>    I'd like one that has a removable rain fly (if possible) and a bug
> net for those hot months.    I know hennessey is still out there.
> And, i seem to remember good reviews of them.    any one else?
>
> thanks,
>
> Winston-Salem, NC
336.403.5860
kenbennettphoto.com