[at-l] Afghan Mineral Deposits

David Addleton dfaddleton at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 21:31:03 CDT 2010

This is off topic; however, Afghanistan has been known for something
like 5 or 6,000 years for its gold and lapis lazuli deposits and for
its copper. Prior even to Alexander the Great, civilizations fought
over them . . . Here is the stomping grounds of Zoroaster, the first
and only non-semitic "prophet" whose religion the Persian kings
adopted and spread to the semitic peoples through the Persian
captivity of the Israelites . . . . Once again we can thank the Brits,
who, together with the Americans and the Soviets, carved up Central
Asia into "countries" with arbitrary borders cutting through then
indigenous ethnic groups . . . . Not just Afghanistan, but most of
Central Asia is rising in importance because of natural resources
coveted by India, China, Pakistan, Iran, Russia, Europe, and the US of
A . . . This is an old, even ancient, game for influence, power over
these resources in a land which has known almost no peace since human
beings first started smelting copper and gold and making lapis
jewelry. I seriously doubt it's a "game changer" except insofar as it
further motivates greed amongst the aforementioned powers . . . .