[at-l] Afghan Mineral Deposits

giniajim jplynch at crosslink.net
Sun Jun 13 22:20:41 CDT 2010

I sort of focused on the Lithium...

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David Addleton
  To: giniajim
  Cc: at-l at backcountry.net
  Sent: Sunday, June 13, 2010 10:31 PM
  Subject: Re: [at-l] Afghan Mineral Deposits

  This is off topic; however, Afghanistan has been known for something
  like 5 or 6,000 years for its gold and lapis lazuli deposits and for
  its copper. Prior even to Alexander the Great, civilizations fought
  over them . . . Here is the stomping grounds of Zoroaster, the first
  and only non-semitic "prophet" whose religion the Persian kings
  adopted and spread to the semitic peoples through the Persian
  captivity of the Israelites . . . . Once again we can thank the Brits,
  who, together with the Americans and the Soviets, carved up Central
  Asia into "countries" with arbitrary borders cutting through then
  indigenous ethnic groups . . . . Not just Afghanistan, but most of
  Central Asia is rising in importance because of natural resources
  coveted by India, China, Pakistan, Iran, Russia, Europe, and the US of
  A . . . This is an old, even ancient, game for influence, power over
  these resources in a land which has known almost no peace since human
  beings first started smelting copper and gold and making lapis
  jewelry. I seriously doubt it's a "game changer" except insofar as it
  further motivates greed amongst the aforementioned powers . . . .