[at-l] Sigh, co-list

Felix J AThiker at smithville.net
Fri Mar 5 14:03:18 CST 2010

(this from kay k. harvey)

I'm not sure  where the convention started, or if it has any bearing on
modern traffic laws, but my assumption is that lefthanded signals are
used for two reasons:

a)      If you're riding on the right side of the road, you left hand
may be more visible to traffic, which is to the left of you;
b)      Your right hand, the one still controlling the bike, uses the
REAR brake, which is MUCH safer than using the front brake only, if you
have to stop quickly.

That second point is the one that crops up most frequently in my
commuting -- I'm almost always on the brake at some point during the
turn when I am signaling.

Ke Kaahawe

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy