[at-l] Sigh, co-list

Art Cloutman Art at crystalacresnh.com
Fri Mar 5 14:35:16 CST 2010

One argument against your reason b) is that this rule was adopted
long before hand brakes were common on American bikes.  50 years ago
99 out of 100 bikes in the US had coaster brakes.  You just pedalled
backward to slow the bike down or make it stop.  When the 3 speed
"English Bikes" started to become popular during the mid 1950's we
started to see hand brakes on bikes.  I still have my Raleigh Sports
Gent from 1950.  Hardly ever ride it but it was top of the line back
then.  Must have paid $35 for it second hand.  Went for $100 brand
new.

>(this from kay k. harvey)
>
>I'm not sure  where the convention started, or if it has any bearing
>on modern traffic laws, but my assumption is that lefthanded signals
>are used for two reasons:
>
>a)      If you're riding on the right side of the road, you left
>hand may be more visible to traffic, which is to the left of you;
>b)      Your right hand, the one still controlling the bike, uses
>the REAR brake, which is MUCH safer than using the front brake only,
>if you have to stop quickly.
>
>That second point is the one that crops up most frequently in my
>commuting - I'm almost always on the brake at some point during the
>turn when I am signaling.
>

>Ke Kaahawe
>--
>Felix J. McGillicuddy