[at-l] spring loaded....

camojack at comcast.net camojack at comcast.net
Sat Mar 13 08:40:31 CST 2010

Here's something I wrote on the subject, about 5 years ago:

Daylight Saving Time?

What a crock! There are only "x" hours of daylight on any given day; so nobody is saving anything. Where would they keep it, anyhow?! During the Vernal and Autumnal Equinoxes, there are 12 hours of daylight, and the other 363.25 days of the year are either longer or shorter depending on the season.
(An oversimplification, really, it all depends on your Latitude)

Daylight Saving Time in the U.S. is NOT observed in Hawaii or the state of Arizona (except for the Navajo Indian Reservation...which does observe it, due to its large size, and its location in three states). Also, its territories of American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands do not observe it.

The idea of daylight saving was first conceived by Benjamin Franklin during a trip as an American delegate to Paris in 1784, in an essay, "An Economical Project." It was first advocated seriously by a London builder, William Willett, in the pamphlet "Waste of Daylight". Perhaps in their time of oil lamps it was a sensible solution; nowadays it's something of an anachronism. If having the daylight last later into the P.M. is the desired effect, why not leave it "Sprung Forward?"

-"Camo"