[at-l] 11 years ago today... a non-dreamer started hiking the

nightwalker.at at gmail.com nightwalker.at at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 21:31:53 CDT 2010

 trail	- and a question for others.

I had been hiking for seven years. I only heard about the AT six months prior to stepping on it. Almost from the first day I knew about it, I was thinking of it as the next logical step. A whole six months. Heh.

Actually trying to finish it has been more of a torment than a dream. Two years, I got off homesick. Three years, my feet gave out in two different ways. Twice, my wife got really sick. I'm just too dumb to know when to stop trying. :-)

My wife is pushing me to go again. Says she doesn't want me moping around the house all Summer. I don't have a lot of confidence in her ability to take care of herself while loaded up on Lortab. But she says I owe myself and her both a shot at it. Dad's healthy again. Who knows how many more years that will last? I've been putting back a little money. I'll probably take off on the weekend of April 3rd. Insanity.

But I'm less insane than I have been, and I'm tired of the "if only" nonsense. I'm just not ready to give up on this silly thing. And silly is what it sounds like, if you haven't had the sickness yourself. It's just something that won't let go.

If I was content with section-hiking, I probably wouldn't have walked throu GA enough times to lose count (six or seven. Really not sure.)

Sometimes all I can do is shake my head. :-)