[at-l] Standing Indian Loop

Felix J AThiker at smithville.net
Mon Mar 22 15:09:07 CDT 2010

trailr at aol.com wrote:
> Hmmm....
> The hike up into the Smokies wore me out.

(For some reason I don't think I received Pink Blaze or Walt's posts on
this)

I once wrote a story in the ATN called Delirium that I based on my
experience climbing Kelly Knob in GA. It's a tough one late in the day
(they can ALL be tough late in the day).  The climb northbound out of
NOC is a bit of work. Hiking into The Smokies always seems to give me
adrenaline...so, I don't recall those climbs as difficult. Then again, I
once climbed out of Davenport during an ice storm...that'll give you
adrenaline. It's funny...when I climbed Standing Indian (New Year's Eve
1998) and Blood Mt (January 3rd, 1999) it was well after dark. Things
seem easier after dark. Or, maybe it was because it was less than 12º
both nights and I had to hike to stay warm.

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98