[at-l] urge

Doug Mathews mathews at uga.edu
Sun Mar 28 10:49:53 CDT 2010

Arthur,
Sorry about your problem and I sure hope they can get to the bottom of
it. Let me tell you a story about me.

I had a problem that my doctors had a hard time solving. I through hiked
in 2002, biked across country in 2003 and I do a lot of running and had
never had a problem, other than what runners call short-term aches and
pains. I stated having pain in my lower left calf after I would run
sometimes and it never bothered me hiking or biking. The orthopedic guys
had no answer they suggested a circulatory guy who told me if I could
run 9 miles and no pain, then essentially it was old age and get the
heck out his office as he had life and death issues with other patients.
Well, I'm not old enough to have old age problems (or that's what I tell
myself) so I went to another sports medicine place in Atlanta who do the
work for the Atlanta Falcons and they looked at all kinds of stuff and
they too could find nothing wrong, so they sent me to another vascular
surgeon and he asked about all the test I had had and when did I notice
the problem during activity. I told him I had no issues unless I had run
for 10-15 minutes and then it started manifesting itself. He asked me
was this a life style issue for me and I told him it was and he said,
well it was there job to find the problem. He said he'd like to do a
test after I started having the pain, even though it was a test I had
had before. So we did and after he looked at  the test before the run
and then the test as soon as the pain showed up on the treadmill he came
in smiling and said he had the answer. I had a 96-98% blockage in my
left leg and it would be a piece of cake to fix and they put a stent in
and I'm as good as new, well, my wife says not, but that's my story anyway.

My long winded point is that even though your current medical folks are
doing their best, sometimes it take us just pushing to see other medical
folks who have a fresh approach and maybe a little more knowledge in
other areas that can help  diagnose the problem.  Diagnosis is still an
art and no one ever hist it 100% of the time.  I'm sure there have been
several teams taking a look at you and your problem but its the medical
professions job and duty to see that they get ot eh bottom of it, it may
be pushing harder may get you to others can find your problem.

If I had not pushed my folks, I probably would be very sedentary by now
and eventually it would have closed up so much I might have had serious
issues with it. Fortunately I kept at it and they did find my problem so
keep plugging away at them and tell then o answer is no answer at all!

Good Luck

Mainframe