[at-l] Alcohol Stoves vs. Latest non-alcohol

giniajim jplynch at crosslink.net
Mon May 17 08:18:21 CDT 2010

  What's the latest thoughts on alcohol vs. non-alcohol?  On a three-day hike this weekend, using my alcohol stove, I was reminded yet again that the stove (1) requires some fumbling around to get the stove lit, and (2) you need to get just the right amount of fuel in the stove (too much and you're wasting fuel, too little and your water/food doesn't get hot and you have to wait for the stove to cool and start over).
  Most folks seemed to be carrying small canister stoves that looked pretty light.  I'm wondering if stove technology has gotten to the point that its worth considering replacing my alcohol stove with something else?