[at-l] Comm device for AT and other eastern trails

Jim Bullard jim.bullard at gmail.com
Sun May 23 18:21:46 CDT 2010

It may be worth that much to some but my sell phone is rarely used. I
checked into a smart phone thinking I could use more of those 700 minutes
per month I'm already paying for at about $90/month (2 lines, my wife uses
hers even less than I do, we totaled less than 50 minutes last month) but
no, data and text are extra and not interchangeable. Another $90/month if I
want to do those things.

I would like to be able to track my diet on the phone. I do it on my
computer now but when you're out that doesn't cut it. With data on the phone
I could check things on the fly before ordering in a restaurant. OTOH we
don't eat out that much. We probably don't average $90/month in restaurant
meals or not much more than that if we do.

The cell phone is a virtual necessity around here now if you want a phone
and are away from home. Public phones are virtually non-existent. The other
stuff would be nice to have and if it all came under the same minutes, I'd
do it but I probably still wouldn't use the 700 minutes I'm already paying
for. I don't like talking on the phone that much. 90% of my calls consist of
"Hi honey, I'm out of the woods safely and on my way home. See you in a
couple of hours." End of call.

Jim Bullard
http://jims-ramblings.blogspot.com/
http://www.photoshelter.com/c/jim_bullard