[at-l] Crispy in Florida

Art Cloutman Art at crystalacresnh.com
Mon Nov 1 15:51:35 CDT 2010

Up here in NH it has been unusually warm this fall with many days
averaging in the mid 60's.  Rainfall has been normal.  But the last
couple of days and next 2 days have been and are expected to be lower
than usual.  Today the high was 39 degrees with a stiff breeze from
the northwest.  Good weather for splitting and stacking firewood.  It
would be pretty cold on top of a mountain.  Some of the ski areas
have opened for the season.  It has not been cold enough during the
day to make snow in my area.  I suspect it will be another month
before the mountain where I teach skiing opens.

>Now that it's a little cooler (well, if you count a high of 85 as
>cooler), have been doing a little more hiking.  Here in Central
>Florida we haven't had any rain for 33 days, and it was a pretty dry
>summer as summers in Florida go.   Newscast say that a rainless
>October is a record in central Florida.   I'm seeing even some of
>the woods plants looking wilted.  Other natives have given up and
>can only be described as crispy--so that if you walk on these
>grasses, they crunch.
>
>Just the same there are a lot of fall wildflowers in bloom--mostly
>purple paintbrush and blazing star, yellow composites and goldenrod,
>and a few white flowers.  It's pretty out there, even if it's dry.
>
>There's a 40% chance of rain on Thursday, and highs this weekdn are
>supposed to be in the mid-70's.  Sound like fall hiking time in
>Florida!
>
>Is anyone else experiencing a very dry fall?
>
>Joan.

Life is Good!!!
Art Cloutman