[at-l] 12

Felix J AThiker at smithville.net
Sat Nov 6 09:31:04 CDT 2010

So...twelve years ago this morning...my good buddy Stoat was
eating breakfast with no water. Rod Hollow Shelter's spring
was bone dry...as most were that year.  In the process of
eating dry oatmeal and Ovaltine with no water Stoat choked
on the dusty powder and coughed. One of those hidden little
things that make a thru-hike special happened then; he said
"ooooooo, that was bad"  very quietly.

We hiked the 3.5 miles to Ashby Gap and walked up to a place
called The Black Horse...or, something to do with a
horse...and, waited in the parking lot for them to open.
When they did, we got water and sodas and muffins, I think.
There was a pay phone in the parking lot and I used it to
call a friend of mine who worked for FEMA at the time.
After a lot phone tag and the like I got a hold of him and
set up a meeting time and place. So, we hiked a 16 mile day
to Linden, VA, Highway 55 (right where the AT goes under
I-66) and Jody met us a while later.  We spent the night at
his house. The next morning my posse fragmented in all sorts
of directions.

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98