[at-l] A Walk for Sunshine

Jim Bullard jim.bullard at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 09:12:46 CST 2010

I read the book and wrote a review he didn't like. I thought the book was
okay but not one of the better thru-hike accounts. I think I rated it about
3 stars on both my website (now gone) and Amazon. He wanted only 5 star
reviews because he was using proceeds from the book to fund the charity that
he did the hike for so that it would sell a lot of copies. While that was an
admirable thing to do, it did not alter my opinion of the book relative to
much better written AT books. He sent me several emails trying to convince
me to retract or rewrite my review praising it. He even wanted my phone
number so that he could "talk this over". I declined to give him my phone
number. It was also noted by some on the list that early 2, 3 and 4 star
reviews on Amazon disappeared and/or were replaced by 5 star reviews. From
that I assume he also pressed others for favorable reviews. I see on Amazon
it is now in a 3rd edition and my 1st edition Amazon review has disappeared.

This is by no way meant to denigrate the film. As anyone who has read a book
before seeing the film made from it, they are two different animals. In the
hands of a capable film maker it might well be an excellent movie but that
would be mostly due to the film maker IMO and I would not judge the film
based on the book or its pushy author whose tactics I did not appreciate.

Jim Bullard
http://jims-ramblings.blogspot.com/
http://jim-bullard.photoshelter.com/
http://picasaweb.google.com/jim.bullard