[at-l] I love/hate when this happens

Nina Rogers Nina.Rogers at DrakeSoftware.com
Fri Nov 19 08:29:38 CST 2010

So, I went to Main Street Coffee in Franklin this morning with a couple
of co-workers and there were two southbounders there. I asked them the
usual conversation-starter questions: "So, did y'all hike here from
Maine?" "When did you start?" etc.

Once that was out of the way, my mouth opened and the words flowed. I
talked a mile a minute about my long-ago southbound hike, about the AT,
about mutual people we might know, about hostels and trail towns and
such. They were very friendly and managed to get a few words in
edgewise, but not many.

I'm normally pretty quiet and shy. Not one to strike up conversations
with perfect strangers-or anyone, for that matter. But when I'm around
hikers, even ones I've never met, all the shyness goes away. And it's
like I can't shut up.

My co-workers were amused. I tried to explain it, and the words that
came out were, "These people are my tribe. They're kin." My co-workers
continue to be amused. (Of course, the hikers - Hitman and a guy with an
Australian accent whose name I didn't catch because I was too busy
talking - were probably just wanting some peace and quiet and wishing I
would leave them alone!)

I told my husband the other night that I've never, ever felt "at home"
with any group of people ... except hikers.

I love y'all, man.

Nina Rogers (Waterfall)

ME-GA 2000