[at-l] I love/hate when this happens

giniajim jplynch at crosslink.net
Fri Nov 19 08:35:18 CST 2010

Great story; love it!
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Nina Rogers
  To: at-l at backcountry.net
  Sent: Friday, November 19, 2010 9:29 AM
  Subject: [at-l] I love/hate when this happens

  So, I went to Main Street Coffee in Franklin this morning with a couple of co-workers and there were two southbounders there. I asked them the usual conversation-starter questions: "So, did y'all hike here from Maine?" "When did you start?" etc.

  Once that was out of the way, my mouth opened and the words flowed. I talked a mile a minute about my long-ago southbound hike, about the AT, about mutual people we might know, about hostels and trail towns and such. They were very friendly and managed to get a few words in edgewise, but not many.

  I'm normally pretty quiet and shy. Not one to strike up conversations with perfect strangers-or anyone, for that matter. But when I'm around hikers, even ones I've never met, all the shyness goes away. And it's like I can't shut up.

  My co-workers were amused. I tried to explain it, and the words that came out were, "These people are my tribe. They're kin." My co-workers continue to be amused. (Of course, the hikers - Hitman and a guy with an Australian accent whose name I didn't catch because I was too busy talking - were probably just wanting some peace and quiet and wishing I would leave them alone!)

  I told my husband the other night that I've never, ever felt "at home" with any group of people ... except hikers.

  I love y'all, man.

  Nina Rogers (Waterfall)

  ME-GA 2000