[at-l] I love/hate when this happens

Kyvcat at aol.com Kyvcat at aol.com
Sun Nov 21 08:17:45 CST 2010

Hopeful, your meeting with Earl Shaffer surely happened at Hot Springs at
the very first Trail Fest and the first time I met you and Plodder in person.
That's when I got my book signed by Earl Shaffer too. I remember that line,
and Earl leading the hiker parade.

That was also when we came back from a short hike and I found a hanging
rope on the tree behind our campsite, no doubt because we'd been laughing about
the hikers mentioned on at-l who were concerned that the good folks in
Suches, GA always hung hikers if they could catch them. LOL

A huge memory of that time is of meeting Solophile, who had just finished
her thru. She was the first thru hiker I ever met! At the time that was a
major thing. Remember how thrilled we were to sit with her and go through her
photo album and hear her stories of the trail firsthand? I'd followed her
trip reports on at-l and felt I knew her like an old friend.

That was the first time I met Felix in person, too. It was in some small
building with a big crowd of people. Wingfoot's trail museum? Was there such a
thing for real? Anyway, I don't know how I knew it was him, unless it was
the Hawaiian shirt. ;-)

What great memories.

Vcat