[at-l] backpacklaptopoptartyvek Re: New laptop (for reading AT-L, of course...)

Tom McGinnis sloetoe at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 24 15:29:00 CST 2010

Having the "latest & greatest" at work meant that I really didn't need anything at home for a long time. The 8086/8087, with the 3.5" and 5.25" floppys (and no hard drive) is in the next room. Never was Net-enabled...
So I spent a year doing research, "chose wisely", and in early 2005, did the whole cable-modem computer thing. It is *still* the fastest communicator around that I've seen, is very stable, and only slows up when working on multiple screens at HULU.COM. (This is important, because of my trading: stability and speed are *paramount*. And no, I'm not watching HULU when I'm trading.....)
The long story short is that I would advise you bust for the least-performing of the best architecture, get not the biggest hard drive, but the fastest, get the best connection you can *discern* the performance of, and lastly (and perhaps most importantly), KEEP THE CRAP OFF YOUR 'PUTER. (Now, some people spell c_r_a_p as "MicroSoft"....) I recommend, Mozilla Firefox and OpenOffice Suite as smaller, feature-rich, and freakin' STABLE.

And yes, this is much like a backpack deally. Minimize fru-fru and garbage; leave the disfunctional at home; hike light and f-f-far. *Then* you can really enjoy the scenery.

opensourcetoe

(Oh, and I've never worked on a laptop that I wanted to own. Ever.)

--- On We
Is there any advantage anymore to a fixed system, or is laptop the way to go?