[at-l] Guinness Stew

Felix J AThiker at smithville.net
Tue Nov 30 08:34:45 CST 2010

Just got this from The Inn near the Long Trail:

The recipe is for the batch we make for the restaurant so
you will have to cut it down for home use.

10# stew beef cubed

1 gallon Guinness stout

1 gallon water

2 tbs Maggi seasoning

1/4 cup gravy browning or Kitchen Bouquet

1/3 cup concentrated beef base

5# red potatoes cut (with skin on)

4# carrots cut

3 large onions cut

2 bunch celery cut

1.25 # frozen corn

1.25 # frozen peas

roux (we make our own, add 4 cups white flour to 1 cup
melted butter, stir regularly over medium heat until mixture
has a nutty smell)

Directions:

1. Brown beef in large pot.

2. add Guinness, water, maggi, gravy brown and beef base,
cover and cook over medium heat for 2 hours.

3. add potatoes, carrots, onion & celery, cover and cook 1 hour.

4. add frozen corn & peas, cook 1/2 hour

5. remove from heat, strain fluid from solids, set solids aside.

6. put fluid over heatand whisk in roux a bit at a time
until gravy is desired thickness, re-add to solids.

7. enjoy

Patty McGrath

Inn at Long Trail

--