[at-l] Gathering plan

RockDancer rockdancer97 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 5 10:00:45 CDT 2010

The list seems quiet so I thought I'd write about what happened today. I planned my trip to the Gathering!

Next Tuesday 10/12 leave from Boston area, get to Harpers Ferry, stay with friends for 2 nights and a day.
Thursday 10/14 drive the 380 + miles to Athens, WV. Rest and relax for the start of the weekend on Friday.
Monday morning head back here with another stop in Harpers Ferry.

It's about 1600 miles round trip, so I hope the rest of you AT folks are going to make the trip worthwhile!

Anyone remember Concord College 2006? I was hiking a section southbound that year. Sawnie got me in Pearisburg to get to Concord College. Each night was freezing or below so many just stayed in the big fireplace room until late at night. Frost on tents each morning. When I left the Gathering I was fully resupplied & ready to hike.

It seemed to be a tough year to be going southbound. Near the end, went over Max Patch in a raging snowstorm, Davenport Gap had 8 inches at the Pigeon River, the Newfound Gap road was closed. Didn't go as far south as I wanted that year. Still, a nice memorable hike. My tent still bear the scars of setting up inside Walnut Mt. Shelter, south of Hot Springs, NC. Mice gained access to my tent through the top by eating the mesh. When I woke up with them in the tent it was a furious scurry until I opened the door to let them out!

Arthur Gaudet (RockDancer)
Rockdancer97 at comcast.net
"The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon."