[at-l] Mennonite women hikers

Leslie Booher lbooher at charter.net
Wed Oct 27 16:45:22 CDT 2010

As per Frank's and Felix's posts, Amish do ride, just don't drive.  Before we left Halifax County, VA, a whole community of Amish had moved in from Delaware.  They brought their driver with them.  I can't remember when I've last been on a bus or on Amtrak that there weren't Amish riding with me.  They do get around!

Also, Mara, there is a community of German Baptists living around Roanoke somewhere, not far from Dragon's Tooth.  That would be a natural place for them to hike.  They do wear Amish-looking clothes.  There are actually a number of different groups who dress like that and hold some of the same beliefs and traditions, but not all.  They're all part of the Anabaptist movement.

a'bear

Humankind (be both)