[at-l] Hiking Plans for September?

Tenacious Tanasi tenacious_tanasi at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 2 10:30:01 CDT 2010

The weather is really getting nice here.  We've been getting out in the evenings
and walking, and taking dips in the hot tub early of the morning.  Our bikes
have come back out and stay on the back of the truck as well as packs in the
back seat for spur of the moment decisions to get out and about.

It's getting closer to that time... time to get back out on the trails.  I'm so
very happy that it isn't quite so danged HOT any more.  And, with Earl moving
into the neighborhood for a few days maybe he'll leave some cooler weather
behind.  (Just trying to think of a positive for what's getting ready to hit
North Carolina.)

This weekend we're headed up to camp on some private property of some friends of
ours that live along the French Broad.  We're gonna hit a few trails up in that
neighborhood and ride our bikes.  I'm really excited about going... drama with
the children just lingers and I'll gladly welcome a stay in the outdoors to
recharge, rejuvenate, and heal for a little while.

We've been buying up some gear and are getting better prepared to hike as a
couple.  Michael now has a new REI Flash 65 pack.  I still carry my Equinox
Katahdin pack.  With us hiking together I really don't need a big pack...though
the Katahdin is so light weight that I can just scrunch it down and it still
weighs less than most other packs.  :)

We opted for a Marmot Limelight 3 as our shelter which we'll divide to carry.
It's long enough for his tall frame, is free standing, and ease of setup is a
snap...and we got a sweet deal on it.

Michael also now has better clothing which no longer involves anything cotton
nor military.  :))  He has a couple of Hardwear shirts and convertible pants
now.  He lost his floppy hat in the river at the end of July so we still have to
replace that.  lol  He has Teva's which he's totally fallen in love with.
He also has a new set of Merrell's that on a short hike were like walking on air
he reported (was so glad to see him come out of his combat boots for hiking!
lol).

I'm looking at replacing my current kitchen set with the Caldera Cone set that
TinMan has.  I think that with converting to freezer bag cooking is going to
make meal times quicker and cleaner.  I've been giving him lessons on being
creative with food from gas stations and grocery stores as well as what is good
out on the trail.

He wants a water treatment system...which I have never used.  So, we've been
looking at all of the options.  I don't think he'll have the patience to filter
or wait for water to be chemically treated... so this should prove interesting
on what the final decision will be.

So, what are your hiking plans for September?  And, what are you doing to get
ready?  :)
 Tenacious Tanasi