[at-l] Dealing with medical issues on the trail

rcli4 at comcast.net rcli4 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 5 08:06:35 CDT 2010

I have not hiked in the mountains since I was diagnosed with diabetes.  That being said, I have been hiking/camping 4 times on Cumberland Island.  My biggest problem has been keeping my sugar high enough without eating sugar.  I used an epipen type product from Novo Nordisk.  It is called Levemir FlexPen.  It last 28 days without refrigeration.  I am going to hike in the mtns. in October, and will still carry it with me but I haven't used it since Feb. when I hiked 15 miles and ate M&M's all day to keep my sugar up.  There is a guy named Bfitz on Whiteblaze that has been hiking with diabetes for a long time.  I bothered him a lot with questions.  Real nice guy and far more knowledgeable then my Dr. about hiking with diabetes.  Hit him up, he really helped take away the fear.

Clyde