[at-l] stealth memories ... Re: 12th of never

Tom McGinnis sloetoe at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 6 18:40:19 CDT 2010

--- On Mon, 9/6/10, hopeful_2003 at comcast.net <hopeful_2003 at comcast.net> wrote:

It was 7 years ago tonight that I was stealth camping near Garfield Ridge.

### It was the prior year -- 8 years ago -- that the SmallBoys and I were peeling through the Whites. That was the dry year -- oh my yes. Water levels quiet and down to the point that massive tape worms were swirling around various springs and ponds. That I would actually *use* the filter I carried (the only time that was not a "test") -- twice, at that -- sez a lot.

But when we hit Franconia.... Wow -- I don't remember where we slept. I have a picture of us at Liberty Spring, but I thought it was just our first rest stop. And before that, I remember taking some water underneath the highway bridge for "Second Breakfast".... but we .... we passed Lonesome Lake during dinnertime.... Sheeesh! But the *end* of that day, *That* I remember! We'd hit the big mossy puddles for water, and so supplied, all we needed for the night was a flat spot.

"Does anything like that *exist* on Garfield Ridge?!?!?"

Well, *sure* it does. If you're small enough. (GOT to love bivies.) BUT! If you're 2-3 big, with packs too, well... there is just one spot that really stands out. It's total rock all 'round (Our collective bow towards no-impact evenings), and has this tre' awesome view west to Lafayette, even Cannon peaking out to the north, and lumps that logic suggests are South Kinsman and way left/south, Mooselauke. WHAT a view.

So, Hopeful, wuz you on der summit o' Garfield?

stealthpartyof3toe