[at-l] Last Field Trip

Art Cloutman Art at crystalacresnh.com
Tue Sep 14 18:07:06 CDT 2010

Drove north today to do some more field editing for the Thru Hikers
Companion.  I ran into a couple of unfortunate issues with hiker
service providers.  The Grafton Notch Camp Ground has been open only
a couple of years by a gentleman who set this up as his retirement
job.  I worked with him to get his establishment listed in the
Companion.  While getting his place set up in May for the up coming
season he passed away from a heart attack.  His wife has been trying
to work full time and meet the reservations accepted for the season.
But it has been very hard for her.  A neighbor watches the place when
he can but he is busy with his hostel- Mahoosuc Mountain Lodge.
During the season a couple of hikers were unpleasant  to the
proprietor of the Lodge.  He asked for a shuttle into town then
complained about the price.  Another was so frightening to the lodge
owner that he ran the hiker off with a rifle.  The hiker then walked
across the street to the camp ground and caused a commotion there.
Again he had to be run off.  Now both establishments are considering
closing their services to hikers.

I ran into on female hiker who flipped from PA and was zeroing at the
Joe Dodge Lodge in Pinkham Notch.  I gave her a ride into Gorham to
do her laundry.

It was a long day but I think I am almost done for the season.
--

Life is Good!!!
Art Cloutman