[at-l] Broken wing repaired [aka: worms have wings???]

Linda Patton lpatton at fsu.edu
Wed Sep 29 15:53:16 CDT 2010

Oops!  Yesterday afternoon i was trying to remember all the people/groups
I needed to contact after surgery and I think I forgot WomenHikers and the
AT-L.  Sorry, folks.

I am just fine.  There were no problems with the procedure itself, though
when the surgeon got inside, he did find an additional problem--frozen
shoulder (and he also wrote "early synovitis" after that but Googling hasn't
shown me that the two terms are synonymous,so I'm going to have to
question the Dr. on this).  I had a nerve block (in addition to Versaid and
general anesthesia) so was totally numb from fingertips up arm and around
to back of shoulder for 24 hrs after surgery at 8:45 am yesterday--so no
pain at all during that time, and I slept well last night.  Now I'm taking
"Dr. House" pills (Vicodin) so only feel minor discomfort.

The worst part is having only one hand and it's not even my 'good' hand,
at that.  So using eating utensils is not easy.  And keyboarding with one
hand is painfully slow.

The other 'worst part' is having a bulky sling/padding in the way, and
having to sleep on my back in a half sitting up position, which makes
my back hurt.  I have to wear the sling for four weeks, and will not be
able to drive 'til it's off.  Come to think of it, maybe THAT is actually
the 'worst' thing.  :-(

Questions? or already TMI?  :-)

~~ eArThworm

Visit my website at http://booksforhikers.com
"Better to be lost in the woods than in a maze of cubicles…"