[at-l] Deadline for Miss Janet's book project

Tenacious Tanasi tenacious_tanasi at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 3 22:24:57 CDT 2011

Yeah, Miss J is on the trail herself right now.  I got to spend the day with her
and a bunch of hiker trash in Franklin, NC at the Bash yesterday.  It was so
good to see everyone!!!  I waddled around taking pictures.  And, my belly was
rubbed and blessed by countless hikers seeking good fortune/luck for their hike.
 (Which it was a little weird at first, but then it just became silleh!  LOL)

Janet is taking her time and enjoying the trail.  Before leaving for the Bash
she was at Neel's Gap.  She's doing about 5 miles per day, but then again she's
stopping to talk to everyone... doing trail magic... giving out advice...
helping people out.  And, then there are the times she just about can't hike for
folks wanting to help her out, too!  LOL  She's been on 6 days and had 6 zero
days, and she's having one heck of a fun time with it!

There have been a few who have been negative about her pace out there, but then
again they are likely just jealous that they didn't have the hike that she is
having.  As everyone that knows her knows... it isn't just about the trail out
there or how many miles are made in a day... to her it is the people and their
stories that are the draw.  She has this insatiable curiosity about people and
what makes them tick the way they do.  How many of us have sat at breakfast when
she had her hostel and answered some of her infamous questions?  LOL  I was
there many times....(...and I surely miss that!  :(   )

And, she's unknowingly giving people the opportunity to return some of the magic
that she bestowed on them... pay back some of the memories she helped to
create...give that helping hand that she once was.  Soooo many people and lives
that she has touched over the years....  I think that when someone helps us in a
profound way then we do feel the need to help them out in turn.

Fabian has never looked so happy!  Take a look at this picture and tell me that
this is not the picture of a happy hiker dog!
 http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150504885790078&set=a.10150504871335078.654087.647155077&theater  He's
 finally getting his chance at a thru.  Miss J is making that happen.

Hopeful is in great form!  I forget now where he was out at, but he is having a
blast out there!  Ox and I went over to Dan & Nina's house and visited for a
while.  What a wonderful couple they are and I enjoy hanging out with them.
 While there Ox and Hopeful started reminiscing and telling hiking and trail
maintenance stories.  It was so much fun to sit and listen to them!  Miss Anne
is so very adorable and growing like a weed!

Baltimore Jack bestowed a wooden AT necklace on me matching his and Miss Janet's
for luck for the baby.  We sat in his room chatting and looking at several early
pictures of him on previous trips.  When you see him, tell him you want to see
that most amazing black and white picture of him taken by Jester as he climbed
Katahdin.  I swear it is the most amazing picture I have ever seen of the AT.
There was fog creeping up one side and the other was clear skies.  Amazing!

Circuit Rider and Sherlock did show up, but I only got one quick huggle before
we headed over to Nina's.

Roots and Gungho were there in their swankey new Subaru.  Did anyone catch the
new car's name?!  LOL

Wonder and Fishin Fred were their with their goodies.  I scored several pairs of
awesome earrings and a fistfull of new stickers!  :)

I didn't see much of Ron over the day.  Though he was hurting something fierce
from the wrestling match on Friday night.  Someone was passing around a youtube
vid of him in his tights and mask.  If anyone locates that, PLEASE send me a
linky!!!

There was a young kid there named AJ that played some wonderful music with the
accompaniament of FishnFred on his drum and a couple of ladies on guitars.

The event was moved down town and was not at the park this year... which was
kinda dissappointing.  It was very windy downtown and many vendors had trouble
with their displays and tarps.  The new outfitter is really nice.  I scored a
couple of hiking pillows Michael and I have been looking for.

Redhat, Kanga, Shannon Edwards (remember Salsa Girl from the SoRuck?  :), Dixie
Critter, Sgt Rock, Lone Wolf, Timothy, Skidsteer, and many others were there.
It was so good to see everone, but as always these short weekends just aren't
nearly enough time with my hiking family.

Who's ready for Trail Days?

 Tenacious Tanasi