[at-l] AT Retirement Areas

Tim Rich athiker89 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 10 22:01:45 CDT 2011

Regardless of your chosen venue for retirement, this thread brings up a valid and timely issue.  If you are within ten to fifteen years of retirement and you intend to relocate to another locale, I would recommend you look, and buy, now.  The 15 and 30 year average mortgage rates for the previous week will be released tomorrow and should be down a good bit based on what the 10 year Treasury has done lately.  You could lock in a 15 year mortgage for less than 3.5 percent.  Financing aside, other than central and south Florida, sunbelt and retirement property values are at or near the bottom for this cycle.  Although the Fed has suggested they intend to keep rates low for the next two years, they can't control actual Treasury yields.

A bit more afield, I'll add that I haven't been posting much in quite a while, but I've been keeping up with the list and the trail remains close to my heart.  I found a gentlemen on Whiteblaze earlier this year who makes replica trail signs.  I had him make me an three-quarter size replica of the Katahdin sign that was there when I summitted in '05.  I keep thinking I'll be able to look at it without chill bumps, but it hasn't happened yet.

Well wishes to you to all.  Felix, your parole officer wants you to give her a call.  She's at the Subway in Damascus.  Something about beans and rope.

Take Care,

Tim