[at-l] Water along trail

Mr Howard Oakleigh Westfall oakleighw at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 11 22:24:12 CDT 2011

Toe--
I just got back from hiking from the VA650 crossing near Troutdale to the I-81 crossing near Atkins, VA.  This is north of Mt. Rogers area, but conditions are probably nearly the same.  The water in some streams had dried up, and it was flowing slowly in most of the streams with pools maybe 3-4 inches deep.  Only the South and Middle Forks of the Holston River had any real quantity of water.  Maybe the rain last Sunday helped some, but things were pretty dry.  My advice is to plan on carrying plenty of water.

Greybeard