[at-l] AT Retirement Areas

Steve Landis s.landis at comcast.net
Fri Aug 12 21:10:01 CDT 2011

Well I'm pretty sure we did this a little early in life - about 40 yrs
ago - albeit unwittingly.  Landed in Carlisle, PA. pop. 18K.  While it
is not near some of the sexier spectacular sections of the Trail I do
cross the Trail everyday on my way to work - 7 mins to Boiling Springs
ATC by car.  Also close to many opportunities to paddle a canoe/kayak
which is important to me. Good bicycling opportunities on decent roads.
College and a law school both in town. Military installation in town.
Industry and farming in the surrounding area for balance.  Doesn't have
the feel of a college town or a military town. Small airport that can
handle corporate jets. 30 mins from an international airport.  Hospital
in town and several specialty hospitals 30 to 50 mins away.  Restored
art deco theater for movies, local theater group, and well known musical
talent - BB king; Bela Fleck not Lady Gaga.  25 mins from Harrisburg the
state capitol. Within reasonable striking distance of NYC; Philadelphia;
Baltimore; D.C.; Pittsburgh; the Chesapeake Bay etc.

We are staying.

Steve