[at-l] Cameras on the trail?

Ken Bennett bennett.ken at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 19:34:46 CST 2011

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 7:53 PM, Mark Hudson <mvhudson at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, I just started wondering what other people are carrying on the trail?
> (Cameras, just cameras. No c**l phones, no I-pads...)

Not many decent cameras out there that take AA batteries anymore. I guess
the good news is that even the tiny batteries give 300 or more shots per
charge, and the batteries are small enough to take a spare. On a longer
hike, the chargers are light and small and easy to carry, too.

Panasonic makes a series of small cameras with 12x zooms, I think the one I
have is the ZS1, and they may be up to the ZS7 now, or even higher.
25mm-300mm (equivalent) zoom range, so you get a nice wide angle and a good
telephoto, and the optical image stabilization is excellent (and required
in a camera with that sort of zoom range.) It's a perfectly nice little
camera well suited to the trail, its only downside is that it's not
waterproof.

However, what I actually carry when hiking is a Micro 4/3 camera with a
fixed 20mm lens. Much better image quality, more control over depth of
field, but no zoom of course. I like the wide-ish normal field of view in a
compact, reasonably light body that takes excellent photos.

Cheers,

Ken

--
Ken Bennett