[at-l] Cameras on the trail?

Mara Factor mfactor at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 00:29:23 CST 2011

I'm still using the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 that I bought in 2007.  It's
not a tiny pocket camera but it's a lot lighter than other similar cameras.
 It's got great optics, a long zoom, and has an adapter so I can use
filters like a polarizing filter.  I mostly use auto focus, but it has
manual options for anything an SLR camera does.  It's beginning to show its
age and I will likely replace it with a later version of the same camera.

One thing to consider, while AAs can be bought anywhere, they don't last
nearly as long as proprietary batteries.  With AAs, you may end up carrying
a lot more of them.

I found that the proprietary batteries charge up fast enough that I had no
problems recharging them in town.  Even restaurants will often allow you to
use the outlets while you're eating there.  I tend to take a lot of
pictures so carry quite a few extra batteries though most could get by with
one extra.

If you're still trying to figure out which cameras to consider, I recommend
using the Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com) web site.  Under
"Camera", check out the Camera Feature Search.  You can indicate features
you want and it will list all cameras that meet your specifications.  Plus,
many cameras have been reviewed in detail there.

Good luck,

Mara
Stitches, AT99

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor