[at-l] Regrets

Felix J AThiker at smithville.net
Fri Dec 16 10:04:05 CST 2011

You know how sometimes a person will enter your life for a
little while and then leave your life for some reason. And,
even though they aren't in your life actively anymore, you
still think about them, or your time with them, what you
learned from and with them, what you experienced together,
nearly everyday. The reasons they aren't actively in your
life can be good, bad or indifferent. Usually it's just the
way it is. The way it turns out.  People are busy and have
their lives to live and the next thing you know fifteen
years have gone by.

Back in August of 1998 a guy came into my life while I was
hiking the AT.  I was initially intimidated by him a little.
The intimidation was not because I thought he was going to
cause me harm. It was because I had so much respect for him,
what he had done and what he was doing, that I wasn't
certain I was worthy of hiking with him.

The AT, in the wonderful way it works its magic, made it be
that he and I would hike together for a time. In that time,
the respect increased. The respect turned to love. And, the
love to a spiritual connection unlike any other I've ever had.

We were together when I experienced the most amazing act of
nature I've ever witnessed: 90 mile an hour winds on the
summit of Mt. Madison. It was here that one of the only
regrets of my life occurred.  Because my mind was littered
with concern over a lost hiker, a hiker more or less in my
care, I may have been thinking of a picture I wasn't
currently in.

So, I left him. I left him in the 90 miles an hour wind. A
wind that was blowing rain and sleet so hard it stung when
it hit. A wind so strong it took  our breath away. A wind so
loud we couldn't talk to each other. I left him even though
the trail was like climbing over a pile of ice-covered cars.
I left him even though he had only one eye and therefore no
depth-perception. I left him, I think, because I thought he
was 'unstoppable'.  I should have never left him.

He made it down the mountain to the safety of a 'hut'. The
lost hiker made it up the mountain to the safety of a 'hut'.
We were all together again in the safety of a 'hut'.  And,
it wasn't until years later that I figured out that I should
have never left him on that pile of rocks.

So, today I found out that my hiking brother, Patch, has
another Mt. Madison to climb. And, I'm going to do my
damnedest to not leave him there alone this time.

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98