[at-l] 2011 Dates for Appalachian Trail Institute and Smart Start

Dave Hicks carla_dave_hicks at verizon.net
Wed Feb 2 13:06:00 CST 2011

Toe,

I'm not sure how much we are disagreeing.

I have always been a live-and-let-live guy.  I tend to march to a different
drum than many folk and have no problem with other folk marching to a
different drum than I.

Whether home décor or hiking, I have no problem with folk who like doilies
for protection of whatever.

To me, HYOH includes those who "own hike" has room various group hikes, paid
leaders, etc.  It's just not my hike.

I have always like Spirit Eagle's , "The first part is that I walk my own
trail and live my own life and take responsibility for my own actions. The
second part is that I don't hike someone else's hike - or allow them to
influence mine except by my choice. The third part is to allow others to
hike their hike, their way - whether I agree with them or not, as long as
what they're doing isn't interfering with my hike or damaging the AT or the
Trail community."

The Crazy One and I had a number of disagreements (as to trail maintaining
and hiking).  Yet, even with his far greater status in the community , he
never came across as condescending or as a know it all.  I learned from him.
Yet it was in  Spirit Eagle's sense of allow his ideas to influence mine --
by my choice.

As for no at-l, the RUCKs, Gatherings, etc, at those that I attended, I
never saw much of the my-way-or-the-highway attitude, such as on Wingnut's
Trailplace .   Again, I see a great value in the at-l, the RUCKs, the
Gatherings, etc.  It is through those and through reading that one learns
what how to be responsible for ones' own actions.  We need to learn from the
mistakes of others -- we won't live long enough to make them all ourselves.
They are also great enablers of hiking one's own hike for many folk.

As for paid leader hikes and Spirit Eagle's, "allow others to hike their
hike, their way ", I seem to remember a rainy night that an Appalachian
Money Club paid leader hike was interfering with someone's hike and (IMHO)
damaging the trail community's values, with a proprietorial attitude about
shelter capacity.  So, yup, there are times I have had been forcefully
negative about how others hiked.

ITOH, for those who see Warren's deals as a good deal, more power to them.
I fully support Spirit Eagle's, "allow others to hike their hike, their
way - whether I agree with them or not, as long as what they're doing isn't
interfering with my hike or damaging the AT or the Trail community."

I was just opining, that IMHO, I have no place for organized, paid leader
hikes and the like.  Also, I question the need to pay for information
readily available at little or no cost, elsewhere.

So, HYOH in the Spirit Eagle sense.