[at-l] Nelly Jean

Felix J AThiker at smithville.net
Mon Feb 28 14:38:48 CST 2011

On 2/28/2011 3:06 PM, RockDancer wrote:
> Is this the white plastic type? I think it's HD-PE (high density
> polyethylene, should have #2 on the bottom). There are a lot of papers on
> how that plastic breaks down in the outdoors: exposure to moisture&  UV
> radiation seem key. One study shows complete brittleness after 90 days
> outdoors. Bottom line is that they are good for lab equipment, water pipes
> (just don't go outside with your water pipe.)
>
> I've had trouble with the blue plastic lids! More than once I've had frozen
> bottles (the clear ones, polycarbonate). To break the ice lock I started to
> use a sharp downward blow on the lid. Usually it worked but then one time
> the lid went and I was screwed, out of water for the rest of that short
> hike. --RD

yes...it is that thick, white plastic with the #2 on the
bottom. I had two wide-mouths and two narrow-mouths.
They've been in a plastic bag over my stairs for 10 years,
or more. I don't remember taking any of them on the
thru-hike....so, it may have been  more like 15 years.  So,
they breakdown and turn brittle when dry in a plastic bag
over poplar stairs, too.