[at-l] One more time...

Felix J AThiker at smithville.net
Tue Jan 4 18:46:22 CST 2011

This morning brought me the most excruciating pain of the 5
month journey. I had left my boots out over night. They were
frozen. They were frozen. It took 12 minutes to put them on.
Then, there was the trip to the privy
(stainless-steel-seated privy). It was about 16 minutes of
physical inactivity. My feet were frozen. It took over an
hour to get the circulation going enough to warm my feet
again. They hurt so badly that my stomach hurt. Somewhere in
that first mile and a half, I passed Tank. (The guy whose
pack I tried to lighten a few days earlier)  He was
definitely struggling. He said that I was right about a lot
of the weight he was carrying. I told him to make it to
Neel's and have Jeff go through it. I hiked most of the day
leapfrogging with QP and WB. I liked them and liked having
someone around for a change. Especially someone who was
excited about the same thing that I was excited about. We
spent the night together at a fridged Hawk Mt. Shelter. I
couldn't find the spring. Again, it was 5º or less. This
time, my boots were in my bag. (Footnote: QP's pee bottle
from Woodshole S. froze and he had to carry a bottle of
frozen urine all day. We laffed. Well, not QP)

Something I shant forget about that night at Hawk Mt. is
this: The Tennessee Volunteers were playing for the national
championship. QP and WB are from the Knoxville area. They
both had walkmans (walkmen?) and were listening to the game.
QP's radio wouldn't pick it up. So, WB broke his headphones
and gave one earpiece to QP. They snuggled up together and
cheered as I slept, dreaming of the next day...

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98