[at-l] The News

Carla & Dave Hicks carla_dave_hicks at verizon.net
Sat Jan 15 18:54:11 CST 2011

Not trying to reopen the cell phone debates of a few years back – but this really spoke to me.

http://tinyurl.com/4mlxu8b

**
14 January 2011 Last updated at 12:55 ET

A Point of View: Does more information mean we know less?

We pay a price for all the information we consume these days - and it's knowing less, says Alain de Botton.

One of the more embarrassing difficulties of our age is that most of us have quite lost the ability to concentrate, to sit still and do nothing other than focus on certain basic truths of the human condition.

The fault lies in part with our new gadgets. Thanks to our machines, of which we are generally so proud, the past decade has seen an unparalleled assault on our capacity to fix our minds steadily on anything. To sit still and think without succumbing to an anxious reach for a machine has become almost impossible.

But we can't just blame the machines. There is a deeper issue at stake - the feeling, so rife in modern secular culture, that we must constantly keep up with what is new.
SNIP
**

FWIIW, I know I, for one, spend more time keep up with what is in the News and far less reading/rereading the classics. I haven’t made any sort of any sort of secular retreat, since my health stopped my long distance hiking, a couple years ago.  I haven't been on a religious retreat for a number of years.

Have you changed?  Do you thing it is a good change?  Has the very nature of Thru-Hiking changed?