[at-l] The News

Felix J AThiker at smithville.net
Sun Jan 16 11:16:10 CST 2011

On 1/15/2011 7:54 PM, Carla & Dave Hicks wrote:
> Not trying to reopen the cell phone debates of a few years
> back – but this really spoke to me.
> <<snip>>
> Have you changed?  Do you thing it is a good change?  Has
> the very nature of Thru-Hiking changed?

I'm not sure if/that I've changed. If I have, it's towards
be crotchety. I know without doubt that the nature of
thru-hiking has changed...and, not towards what I consider
better.  I hiked for a couple of weeks (I forget how long
and I am disappointed in myself for not writing a trip
report) this summer and was amazed at how things are done on
the Trail these days. Calling for shuttles and rides, making
reservations, ordering food, knowing where all the hikers
around you are all day....  makes me scratch my head...and,
my head wasn't itching.  And, it seems to me that there are
places where you are never more than a Mark McGwire
long-ball from a hostel.  (I chose "Mark McGwire long-ball"
because he was hitting them back in the relic days of my
thru-hike)

--
Felix J. McGillicuddy
ME-->GA '98