[at-l] The News

Jim Bullard jim.bullard at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 07:19:26 CST 2011

To get back to the original question "Does more information mean we know
less?" I think the answer is yes and no. What we know, in terms of
information, is are those bits that we need to use on a frequent basis. I
was at a Pete Seeger concert once when someone in the audience asked him to
sing a song that he hadn't done in over 5 years. He couldn't recall how it
went. He wasn't senile (this was 40 years ago), it was just not a part of
his repertoire any more so he had forgotten the words. That song had been
replaced by new songs. We tend to remember those things that are important
to us for as long as they are important to us.

A lot of what we know is incidental information, useful in certain contexts
but not exactly core to existence, like a friend's phone number. When you
have to dial it manually every time you will 'know' it. If the phone stores
it and you only have to hit a button that says "phone Darrell", you will
probably forget the number and let the phone handle that bit of information.

We could argue for the rest of 2011 over the desirability of relying on
technology for such information but IMO there is no right or wrong answer,
only what works for you. Is it really qualitatively different to get your
data on where the hostels are from a smart phone than from the Companion or
the Thru-hiker's Guide? Not to me but I'm sure that for some there is a
distinction.

I used to read a lot of SciFi and I've never forgotten one story where the
main character was exploring an alternate world where the entire law code
was "Do not annoy others and do not be too easily annoyed". I've always
thought that was a good policy. I carry my smart phone (turned off) and when
I use it I try to do so in a way that does not annoy others. Some people
will get annoyed anyway. You can't control that. I use it less than Cody
did. I don't like talking on phones much and still don't "text". Am I
'dumber'? No, I know all the really essential information that I knew before
there were smart phones.

Just my take on it. You are feel to feel otherwise.

Jim Bullard
http://jims-ramblings.blogspot.com/
http://jim-bullard.zenfolio.com/
http://picasaweb.google.com/jim.bullard