[at-l] The News

South Walker southwalker at windstream.net
Tue Jan 18 11:36:48 CST 2011

from Felix

>>I'm not sure if/that I've changed. If I have, it's towards be crotchety. I know without doubt that the nature of thru-hiking has changed...and, not towards what I consider better.  I hiked for a couple of weeks (I forget how long and I am disappointed in myself for not writing a trip report) this summer and was amazed at how things are done on the Trail these days. Calling for shuttles and rides, making reservations, ordering food, knowing where all the hikers around you are all day....  makes me scratch my head...and, my head wasn't itching.  And, it seems to me that there are places where you are never more than a Mark McGwire long-ball from a hostel.  (I chose "Mark McGwire long-ball" because he was hitting them back in the relic days of my thru-hike)

>From your observation, with all the tweeting and texting, it seems  that someone could do a thru without doing a thru. At least in the traditional sense.

The original vision of the trail was a place to escape from every day life. I can only imagine what the founders would think today.

As the old man said, "Christmas was better before I knew about Santa Claus."

Jim

Usually, its that 1% of a group that makes the other 99% look bad except for lawyers and politicians, where the reverse is true.