[at-l] "The Way Back", a Peter Weir movie.

Mara Factor mfactor at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 16:43:29 CST 2011

"The Way Back" is the name of a movie based on Slavomir Rawicz' book, "The
Long Walk, A True Story of a Trek to Freedom."  The book has long been an
AT-L favorite so I'm hoping that with Peter Weir directing and National
Geographic promoting it, it should be a good movie.

Has anyone already seen the movie?  It came out in limited release in
December but is just now being more widely distributed.

How does the movie compare with the book?

For those unfamiliar with the book, here's what I wrote to PCT-L six years
ago:

" "The Long Walk" ... is the incredible story of a Polish cavalry officer,
caught between the two sides, who is caught by the Russians, put in the
Gulag and force marched to Siberia where he and a few others escape by
walking south through Siberia, the Gobi, and the Himalayas to India."  This
took place during WWII.

The Long Walk is one of the few books I've ever read more than once and
certainly the only book I've ever read more than twice.

Thoughts?

Mara

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor