[at-l] "The Way Back", a Peter Weir movie.

South Walker southwalker at windstream.net
Fri Jan 21 19:33:56 CST 2011

I read the book while in high school and was captured by the story. Many years later I decided to read it again and to my surprise found that it had been recently re-released and was easily obtainable. (That was not the case with a few others I tried to find after many years.)

During my thru I did work for stay at Zealand Falls Hut and saw a lady reading the book. I approached her and we had a long discussion about the story. She told me that her young daughter, a grade school attendee had told her about the book because her teacher was reading the book to the class during the semester, leaving out some of more violent descriptions. According to the lady the children had managed to get the address of Rawicz and made contact. Specifically the children wanted to send him some questions about his journey. He had agreed to respond.  I told the lady that I would like to have a copy of the questions and the answers. She took my address but I never heard from her.

Jim

Usually, its that 1% of a group that makes the other 99% look bad except for lawyers and politicians, where the reverse is true.