[at-l] On-line Companion

Sly slyatpct at aol.com
Sat Jan 29 17:06:57 CST 2011

I admittedly haven't been to every vote but I can't recall a vote where
the free online Companion be taken down for the public but still remain
available to the membership.

I'm not talking about completely taking it off line completely.  I've
left an option open for an $8 download of a $15 book with part of the
proceeds going to the ATC.  If people are going to hike and use a guide
compiled by ALDHA and published by the ATC, don't you think they'd be
willing to spend $8 for what they need online, rather than search out
another guide for twice the price?   Free or not, if they like the PDF
they're also likely to buy the hard cover rather than spent hours
printing and money on paper and ink for a longer section or thruhike.

I've seen what happens at general meetings when a single person ends
discussion and ideas get tabled never to be heard from again.  Yeah,
it's a lot easier to "keep it the way it is"

Sly