[at-l] On-line Companion

Ryan Crawford nayrdrofwarc at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 17:15:37 CST 2011

I'll apologize for this reply long before it gets sent.  I'm typing this and
doing research as the full concept is getting developed so this reply is
being typed and retyped more than a dozen times in the past 30 minutes.

I missed the part on the sample pages still being included on the ALDHA
site.  That is definitely needed.  Not an option.

One REAL SMALL bugaboo that I can see, otherwise I'm in agreement with the
idea...and I haven't been an ALDHA member since '08.

In this era of rising inflation and shrinking paychecks people do and are
going to continue doing whatever it takes to save a buck or two including
foregoing ALDHA so they can get the Companion cheaper.

In doing a little looking at Google I just noticed by searching for
'appalachian trail' that ALDHA is way down the list, probably 75-80.  Unless
you are like me and have it show 100 results on each search page that means
you will have to go through 7-8 pages before you even see ALDHA come up in
the listings.  For 'long distance hiking' it was 13th with ALDHAWest coming
up 9th.

What is an organization without members?  You need the members in the
organization to keep the organization going in more ways than one.

Currently/in the past, I don't ???think??? you can/could order the Companion
directly through the ALDHA site.  You have to go to the ATC to be able to
get a hardcopy.  Correct?  The ATC has always taken care of the fulfillment
of the Companion orders???

Now this idea gets deep and crazy with a few backdoor systems that would
need developed.

Have the ATC directly link to the ALDHA page for the Companion.  All they
have other than maybe a picture of the cover is the link to ALDHA.  Everyone
must order their copy through ALDHA but...through the backdoor ordering
system the order gets fulfilled by the ATC.  This forces people to come to
the ALDHA website and helps drive more traffic to the ALDHA website giving
ALDHA a bigger presence on the internet without having to rank higher in the
search engines.

If people don't know ALDHA exists...they can't join.

By taking away the free version for everyone people that aren't already an
ALDHA member have one less reason for coming to the ALDHA website and
potentially becoming a member of ALDHA.  Force them to come to the website
don't give them the option.  Design up the sales page to encourage them to
look at the rest of the website and explore what ALDHA is about.

I do have admit, the last sentence or two(above) is pretty much garbage
given what the ALDHA website looks like.  It does kinda remind me of another
website I've did a little help with in the past.  Very staticky, it never
changes much to encourage people to come back.  That may be one of the
reasons it ranks low in the search results.  I would have to look at the
site more to give a bit better feedback though.  It's been a month or two
since I was last on the site.