[at-l] Earl Shaffer's hike questioned

Linda Patton lpatton at fsu.edu
Mon Jul 4 09:43:15 CDT 2011

> > On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 9:53 AM, <carla_dave_hicks at verizon.net>
> > wrote: http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/291803
> > "...A new report questions whether Earl Shaffer actually walked the
> > trail's entire length....Jim McNeely, a West Virginia lawyer and hiker
> > who spent years researching the epic hike,...his findings, detailed in
> > a 158-page report...

I've read the report...as much as I could stomach.  Here's MY findings:
What Earl did was a good and wonderful thing and will be remembered
through the ages. What McNeely did was mean-spirited and will soon be
forgotten.

The really sad thing is the enormous amount of time he spent on research
that was of no benefit to society and could have been spent, instead, on
something useful--like trail maintenance or any other volunteer work.

~~ eArThworm

Visit my website at http://booksforhikers.com
"Better to be lost in the woods than in a maze of cubicles…"