[at-l] Earl Shaffer's hike

Jim Bullard jim.bullard at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 19:22:21 CDT 2011

Once upon a time I intended to "thru-hike" but I came to understand that
(for me) it wasn't even about getting from point A to point B. I frankly
don't give a rap about what anybody, including Warren Doyle, thinks I
"should" do. I also don't care whether they think what Earl did was really a
thru. He did what he set out to do which no one had done before. He inspired
a whole lot of others to follow, some of whom seem to feel the need to feel
better than others because of some rule they set for themselves. The ATC
accepted Earl's hike as the first thru. That's the only standard that counts
and it isn't even all that important except to those who chose to make it
important. What's important is what transpires between the hiker and the
trail hiked, the experience. Turning it into a test of hiking purity,* to me
*, demeans the experience. YMMV

Jim Bullard
http://jims-ramblings.blogspot.com/
http://jimbullard.zenfolio.com/