[at-l] Thru hikes, purist hikes, goals. WAS Earl Shaffer's hike

trailr at aol.com trailr at aol.com
Mon Jul 4 19:46:33 CDT 2011

I got on the trail in 03, because I got laid off from work. No purist reasons, but I ended up doing a Thruhike past all the White blazes... Why? Well, because it was easy... Does it make my thruhike any better than someone elses? Nope... Was I into the "journey", oblivious of the Destination? Hell no! To me, it was all about Katahdin... But enjoying the journey a little didn't hurt. My thru hike really sucked in many ways... For every good thru hiking  moment, there were many "WTF am I doing, this hurts" moments.   Between injuries and breathing problems, I should have quit, but I kept thinking of Katahdin (and that too many people knew I was out there, for me to quit...).
I wasn't out there finding myself , or communing with nature. I was trying to get to Katahdin, the goal was my incentive. My Thru hike was one of the best things I have ever done, and one of the worst. Too many pills to kill the pain on the trail makes you abuse muscles and joints beyond their limits.  Sometimes the price of Success is high... So hike your own hike... Enjoy yourself, and judge not.

Hotdog