[at-l] Earl Shaffer's hike

Renee Swicegood hankrenee at charter.net
Mon Jul 4 20:52:08 CDT 2011

Amy, I was raised Christian and I still find the judginess pretty
unnatural.

My two cents on the judginess is like my two cents on hiking - everybody
is different and what motivates them is different.  I'm assuming that
those referred to as purists feel passing every white blaze is an
important part of the joy of hiking the AT and it leads to the sort of
satisfaction Felix describes.  For others, the blue blazes (and the
vistas, falls, etc. on them) are more important than passing all the
white blazes.  If you hike from GA-ME or ME-GA along white or blue
blazes, IMO you have hiked the entire trail.  If you complete one of
Warren's van adventures, you have still hiked from GA-ME and I assume
his students / clients get joy from that method.   Your mileage may vary.

She-Dino